Thursday, May 13, 2010

It's ALIIIIIVE!!!

Very rarely do things intimidate me in the kitchen. I can scale, gut, and fillet a fish... boil live lobsters... peel membranes off brains... devein livers... but I'm staring at this live abalone, and I have to admit, I'm a bit daunted by the task of prying this abalone from its shell. I've never shucked a gastropod mollusk before, and the thought of cutting through its writhing adductor muscle has me a bit flustered...

I've given Abbie the abalone shelter in a dish of water in the refrigerator for the evening, but shall tackle the sucker tomorrow... Pictures to come!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I did not know you had such culinary and photographic talent. I knew you as a Mensa Society candidate if not a member already. T. O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete